Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Narain Karthikeyan awarded Padma Shree award

'The Fastest Indian in The World', Narain Karthikeyan has been honoured by the Government of India by bestowing upon him the Padma Shree Award in recognition of his distinguished contribution in the sphere of sports. This is a great honour, not only for Narain himself, but also recognizes Indian Motorsport for the first time in history. Up to 2009, only 2,255 people have been granted this distinct honour.
 
Upon learning of his award, Narain said, "I am deeply honoured and humbled by the Government of India in receiving this award. It is truly a great day, not only in my life, but also in the life of Indian Motorsport. I have countless people to thank and credit for this achievement – first and foremost of which is my family, without whose unrelenting support, my career would not have taken the path it has. My sponsors, the Tata Group, Bharat Petroleum, JK Tyres and Amaron, who have supported me for so many years, as well as MRF Tyres, with whom I have recently entered into a partnership, have also been crucial to my success as a racing driver. I would like to take this opportunity to thank each and every person at all of these companies who have supported and believed in me for so many years. Last, but not least, I owe a huge debt of thanks to all of my fans, who have cheered me on through all of my successes. I dedicate this award to all of them."
 
Narain Karthikeyan, the first and the only Indian to have raced in Formula One, is ranked 126 in the Castrol Rankings for 2009. The rankings are motor sport's first-ever definitive system to determine the position of motor sports drivers internationally. Narain Karthikeyan has been rated as the top Indian racing driver in the world, ranking 126th out of 2,000 drivers in the overall world classifications, a massive 1,353 points, and 75 places ahead of his nearest Indian rival.   
 
Incidentally, MRF Tyres has appointed Narain Karthikeyan, India's first and only Formula One racing driver, as its 'Racing Brand Ambassador'. Karthikeyan, 35, supported by JK Tyre from his early racing days, said: "It is an honour for me to represent MRF Tyres and join their efforts to take motor racing to the next level in India."
 
Reacting to the announcement, Sanjay Sharma, Head of Motor Sport, JK Tyre, said: "Narain was our prodigy from the time he began racing. Now that he has opted to leave us, we only wish him well and are happy for him."
 
Narain Karthikeyan awarded Padma Shree awardSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say or add? Do it now!